Monday, March 16, 2009

getting ish done

I've gotten a lot of knitting time in the last few days, specifically this weekend. I had a weekend seminar at PSU with a bunch of breaks and lunch periods with time to myself. I always like to have a project going that I can pop in my purse and work on when I have a minute, which is what I think one of the greatest things about having knitting for a hobby is. You don't need a block of time to get something accomplished, two minutes standing in line is enough to get a little done. Generally my purse worthy project is a hat because they are small and on circular needles and therefor easily portable.

Currently, I am working on another hurricane hat. But the project has not been without setbacks. I'm making this one for a male friend with a rather large head, so after starting on size 7 needles I decided that wouldn't be big enough and so I ripped it out and ordered some 16 inch size 8 circs. off the interwebs (maybe I picked up a few more things as well... picture at top left, I got 7 sets for like $25, what a deal!). So the hat was on hold til those came. Then, thinking that the looser gauge would still not compensate for a large size head, I cast on 90 instead of 80, which is what the normal pattern recommends. I got almost to where I'd normally start decreasing before I realized that this hat was basically big enough to cover half a watermelon. So I ripped again, and cast on 80 with the size 8's, and It is looking to be just right, but now I only have about 3 inches done and need another few hours to finish it up.

I've also been working on a scrunchable scarf. I had it in my queue on ravelry, but I didn't feel inspired to start until after seeing this one by the addknitter. I cast on 24 with size 9's, and I slipped the first stitch and knitted the last for a nice pretty edging, because my edges are generally a hot mess. I'm using the Lorna's Laces that Hula tried to ambush on superbowl weekend, and it's turning out great. No major color pooling, and the scarf is already over 3 feet long with a third of the ball left. Very generous yardage. Considering the fact that there was snow and hail last week, I'm guessing I'll be needing scarves until the end of March at least, and I'm excited to finish this one up in the next few days and wear it.

2 comments:

  1. You are such a professional knitter now :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny that an obstacle you face is Hula trying to sabotage each project. She is such a rat.

    ReplyDelete