And here's the proof. Last Wednesday at Close Knit knit night I invested in some Noro Silk Garden (worth it, thees two hats have only used about 2/3 of one ball). I didn't want to start a big project because I'm ready to start a full-sized cardigan for myself, so I thought a hat would be a good way to use this yarn. The turn-a-square pattern by Brooklyn Tweed would showcase the pretty color variation of the yarn as well as present me the challenge of doing my first knitted color work.
Anyway, the first hat was done following the pattern almost exactly. There are increases after the ribbing, and the top is done in the prescribed way which results in a top with almost corners (as per the pattern name). It also continues the striping pattern all the way through the top. The result is too wide, even for my large head, and a little short as well. The decrease technique that creates the corners makes the hat have basically a flat top. All in all, not so great. Hat #1 will be frogged and re-knit to follow my modifications that I made on hat #2.
Those modifications include: casting on 80 instead of 96, no increases after the ribbing, stopping the contrasting colored stripes after the first row of decreases, and decreasing by k2tog every few stitches every other row.
The colors of both hats a great, I can't believe there's so many different colors in one ball of yarn. I'm going to redo the first one to match the mods of the second and I'm sure I'll love it.